[m-dev.] bootchecking with extra mmc command line option.

Mark Brown mark at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Jan 20 12:07:20 AEDT 2008

Hi Paul,

On 20-Jan-2008, Paul Bone <pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> I have some changes to the compiler that are enabled by a new command
> line option.  How can I bootcheck the compiler with this option enabled?
> (I am already able to select the correct grade with -G).

Read tools/bootcheck ;-)

(At around line 845 onwards, various files are copied into the stage 2
directory, if they exist.)

In particular, if you set options in EXTRA_MCFLAGS in Mmake.stage.params
these will be used for bootchecking.  Use the `--test-params' option
to run the tests with these options too.

> After this I'd like to use lmc and lml to compile with my new
> bootchecked complier with some test programs.

Note that `-G' only sets the grade in stage 2 and 3.  lmc and lml work
with the stage 1 compiler, so you may need to set the options in Mmake.params
as well.  (I don't know if lmc etc work with the stage 2 compiler -- I haven't
tried.)

> I've found that using bootcheck, workspaces lmc and lml is somewhat
> undocumented, or I haven't found the documentation.

There is documentation on the "Developer Introduction" page.  It points
to the main documentation, which is in the tools/lmc file itself.

> I'd like to put
> these instructions in the "Information for Developers" section on the
> website, is this reasonable?

Certainly is -- that's why we did it that way.  :-)

Cheers,
Mark.