[m-dev.] boehm gc USE_MUNMAP

Zoltan Somogyi zs at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jan 18 17:36:39 AEDT 2008

On 18-Jan-2008, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe the use of libgc_unmap should just be an option passed to mmc or ml?

The right one is ml; you would want to link in one of two gc libraries
(one with unmap, one without).

Have you looked at what effects in the source code the unmap macro has?
If they are not in performance critical places (and I don't see why they
would be), it should be reasonably simple to wrap whatever code is inside
the #ifdef/#endif inside with a runtime test: "if (MR_enable_gc_unmap) {...}"
(at least as simple as Boehn gc can be). That would allow the selection
between unmap or not to be done with a new flag in MERCURY_OPTIONS,
which is the best solution I can think of.

Zoltan.