[m-dev.] for discussion: feature set pragma proposal

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Nov 25 14:52:23 AEDT 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 06:44:56PM +1100, Julien Fischer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The following proposal (see diff below) is intended to catch things like
> an absence of trailing in modules that require trailing earlier than link
> time (where that particular problem is detected now.)
>
> I haven't bothered document what the features below mean yet, although
> they should be fairly self explanatory.
>
> Comments?
>
> +Features that can be included in the list of features are:
> +
> + at table @asis
> +
> + at item @samp{concurrency}
> + at item @samp{single_prec_float}
> + at item @samp{double_prec_float},
> + at item @samp{memo}
> + at item @samp{parallelism}
> + at item @samp{trailing}
> + at end table
> +

Sounds like a good idea.  How do you define the difference between
concurrency and parallelism?

Can a program (easily) test an implementation to see if it supports some
features at say ./configure time?  One could write a mini program with
one of these pragmas in it and test that from their autoconf script.  Or
should we distribute a small binary or shell script so that somebody can
run "mercury_config --features" and examine the output?

Thanks.