[m-dev.] Please add cc_multi det to pprint.separated/3

doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com
Mon Mar 19 05:10:51 AEDT 2007

Dear all (cross-posted to mercury-users, as sometimes
mercury-developers drops my posts),

I have updated the xml library provided in the extras
distribution so that it now compiles for Mercury 0.13.1,
and I have also added some transformation and
pretty-printing functionality to it.  It is available
at http://www.logicaltypes.com.

In adding pprint functionality, I noticed I needed to
duplicate pprint.separated/3 in my module because it does
not have cc_multi determinism (it is det).

Can this determinism declaration be added to pprint.separated?
Although it adds to that func's semantics, I believe no
implementation code need be added.

-----

Does this request lead to a broader question?  In the mode
and determinism lattice can the compiler allow one type
of mode or determinism from a mode or determinism declared
differently?  For another example: consider maps storing
function-types as values -- their mode is
in(func(...) = ... is determinism) but the map(K, V) mode is
map(in, in).  Can the compiler permit function types be
stored in maps given the 'in' modality of the argument type?
Or, should map be redeclared to have a 'polymorphic' mode
that would allow this kind of programming?

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair