[m-dev.] syntactic suggar suggestion for state variables

Ben Schmidt b.schmidt at ugrad.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 15 17:08:54 AEDT 2007

> The `ui, uo' modes would not typically be useful.

Yes, I understand that, and agree. But I don't think there's any denying
they are the unique equivalents of in and out modes. Maybe I'm just
closed minded, but it seems to me that as in/out mode state variables
tend to accumulate, whereas di/uo ones tend to update/mutate, they are
fundamentally different approaches which happen to both be convenient as
representations of states.

Still...my mind is ticking over how it might be done. Not getting very
far though, and must continue real work!

At any rate, I'd still vote for adding the sugar now and redoing the
mode system later!

Ben.