[m-dev.] Associating information with HLDS goals.

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Dec 26 14:39:47 AEDT 2007

Hi Everyone.

I've found that I'd like to associate some extra information with
HLDS goals.  This information is only needed locally in
deep_profining.m.  This information describes weather a particular
goal is trivial, and if a port count is available at some point
within or before that goal such that after runtime it can be
determined how often execution reaches the end of that goal.

I'm writing a code transformation that works backwards through HLDS
goal structures, and from inside to out.  That is, if it considers a
conjunction, first it will consider the conjunction as a whole, then
each conjunct in reverse order.  This is because information from
goals after the current goal is used in the decision of whether a
coverage point should be inserted after the current goal.

However useful information can also be determined from goals before
the current goal, I believe the easiest way to handle this is to walk
over the HLDS first, in normal order and generate some information
and associate it with each goal.  Then a second pass in reverse can
gather information that can be gathered when walking over the HLDS in
reverse order, it will also apply the transformation.

I could use a map to map each goal to the information associated with
it as found by the first pass, and look up this map for each goal in
the second pass.  I believe this would run in O(N log N) time.  Using
an N-ary tree - A tree where each node may have any number of sub-
trees - I believe I can turn this into linear time.  However it's
quite messy, because I have to check that the nary tree has the same
number of branches as there are sub goals of any goal and throw an
exception otherwise in order to keep my code deterministic.

What I would really like is a structure that mimics the hlds_goal and
hlds_goal_expr structures, where the hlds_goal function symbol takes
an extra argument of arbitrary type T.  This would be useful for me,
and will make my code more simple.  I believe this will likely also
be useful for others.  But I'm wondering if this is the best option
of if other similar problems have been solved differently, or in
which module I should add this data structure.

Any Advice?

Thanks.