[m-dev.] IL foreign types are not being recognised

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Apr 16 13:39:20 AEST 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Jonathan Morgan wrote:

> When attempting to build the latest version of Mercury in the IL
> grade, I have been getting assertion failures in library functions
> that use IL foreign types.  Any ideas what the problem might be?  I
> have included some of the output of make -k install.

There has been a test case (valid/foreign_type_spec) that has
been failing with the same assertion failure for a while now.
I briefly looked into a while back but didn't do anything about
it (I was busy with other things at the time and it didn't seem
to be a priority.)

I don't remember the specific details but I think the compiler is
not doing something right when building the optimization interfaces,
e.g. handle_options doesn't set the options up correctly or something
along those lines.

> mmc --make-optimization-interface --grade il      --mercury-linkage
> shared --flags LIB_FLAGS   --flags INTER_FLAGS --allow-stubs
> --no-warn-stubs  --no-warn-insts-without-matching-type   array
> Uncaught Mercury exception:
> Software Error: foreign.m: Unexpected: to_exported_type: no IL type
> Stack dump not available in this grade.
> make[2]: *** [array.optdate] Error 1
> mmc --make-optimization-interface --grade il      --mercury-linkage
> shared --flags LIB_FLAGS   --flags INTER_FLAGS --allow-stubs
> --no-warn-stubs     assoc_list
> Uncaught Mercury exception:
> Software Error: foreign.m: Unexpected: to_exported_type: no IL type
> Stack dump not available in this grade.
> make[2]: *** [assoc_list.optdate] Error 1
>
> (Note that assoc_list has no foreign types, just equivalence types).

I think the assertion failure is referring to one of the opt imported
types here.  (It would be more helpful if the message actually said
which type.)

Julien.