[m-dev.] not_reached inst

Zoltan Somogyi zs at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Apr 11 17:57:09 AEST 2007

On 11-Apr-2007, Ian MacLarty <maclarty at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Actually if I try this it doesn't do what I expect.  I get a determinism error
> for the mode :- mode p(in(d), out(c)) is det.  I don't expect a determinism
> error, because, as I understand it, this mode of p could never be called, so it
> shouldn't really matter what determinism I give.

The compiler doesn't ignore errors from dead procedures. Making it ignore
errors from dead procedures is possible, but I would think having an error
suddenly pop in code that was always in a program but became non-dead due
to a recent change would violate the principle of least astonishment.

Zoltan.