[m-dev.] Low-level debugging

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Wed Sep 27 18:39:33 AEST 2006

On 9/27/06, Peter Wang <wangp at students.csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> On 2006-09-26, Peter Ross <pro at missioncriticalit.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > One of the problems I have here is building debug versions of the
> > various libraries in the compiler.
>
> Isn't it just a matter of adding these lines to Mmake.params?
>
>     EXTRA_MCFLAGS += --c-debug
>     EXTRA_MLFLAGS += --c-debug

The problem here is that I want to have the standard library with the
C level debugging turned on.  I have two options for this install the
compiler once with the above defined under a different path, and then
install again without the above defines.  This is time-consuming and
it is hard to determine against which library I've linked.  For me it
is more clear to have a separate grade specifier dedicated to this.

> > There are two things I would like to have easily.
> >
> > One is a version of the library compiled with -g.  For me this would
> > become the hlcd specifier.
> >
> > The other is the boehm_gc with debugging turned on, this would become
> > gcd.
>
> It could be okay to just always compile boehm_gc with debugging turned
> on, as is done with the runtime directory.

When I said have debugging for the boehm_gc, I meant defining GC_DEBUG
and KEEP_BACKPTRS which are useful for debugging memory leaks.  This
has a performance impact, so it should be a different grade specifier.