[m-dev.] 0.13 release: op/3 syntax

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Mar 6 00:36:28 AEDT 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:36:43AM +1100, Jonathan Morgan wrote:

> I do
> not like the idea of any arbitrary word being an operator, as it would lessen
> the readability of the code

The problem is that most of the likely non-alphabetic ascii operators
are taken.  And words as operators are quite readable.  Note, eg, the
preference of if ... then ... else over ( -> ; ).

> I still think that user-defined operators lose most of their use if they cannot
> be exported,

Agreed.

> but I believe exporting them is going to cause more trouble.

Why?

--
Peter Schachte              Logic is in the eye of the logician.
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU            -- Gloria Steinem