[m-dev.] 0.13 release: op/3 syntax

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 3 14:36:15 AEDT 2006

Peter Schachte, Friday,  3 March 2006:
> I suggest we separate this discussion into two separate debates:
>
> 	1) Should the Mercury language support user-extensible syntax?
>
> 	2) If so, how?

And I suggest this also be motivated by plenty of examples.  My big
problem with this is that syntax invented by *you* is, of course, as
clear as day to *you*.  That is not likely to be the case for *me*.
My fear is that were this facility added to the language it would become
a real liability.

The readability of code we are asked to look at by users who are stuck
is often pretty woeful.  Under your proposal we'd also be expected to
wade through users' various - and probably painful - notions of syntax
improvements.

I really hate these syntax wars...