[m-dev.] 0.13 release

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Mar 2 00:13:23 AEDT 2006

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Ian MacLarty wrote:

> On 1 Mar 2006, at 13:42, Julien Fischer wrote:

> >> Can you be more specific?  I can compile the xml parser with mmc
> >> --make
> >> on MinGW.
> >>

> > Specifically, we couldn't get the last g12 release to build and install
> > with MinGW/MSYS (IIRC it had something to do with libary installation).
> >

> I'm not sure installation via mmc --make is the right way to do things
> on Windows.  Typically you don't install from source on Windows unless
> you're restricting yourself to a unix like environment like MSYS or
> Cygwin.  Usually you'd distribute a binary package.

Where are you proposing we build the binary package?  This was in MSYS.

> >> Do we want the streams proposal to be in 0.13 (assuming we are able to
> >> come up with a design everyone is happy with)?
> >>

> > Provided we actually have a design for it I have no problem with
> > including the stream module itself in the standard library for 0.13.
> > I'm somewhat more hesitant of about the idea of converting to
> > term_to_xml, term_io to use it for 0.13 though - that should probably
> > wait.
> >

> What's the reason you want to wait?
> term_to_xml definitely needs to work on streams.
> It's crippled at the moment because it can only
> write to files and often you want to send XML over
> network connections.

For term_io and friends we would need to be careful about the performance
impact on the compiler; for term_to_xml I guess that's not so important.

(Ideally this would all be sorted out before we fork the repository as well.)

> > Also, if we want io.input_stream and friends to be instances of the
> > stream class the io module is going to require a bit of surgery.
> > I'm happy to include the stream module as part of the standard library,
> >

> Did you mean to write something more there?

Hmmm... I don't think that line is meant to be there.

> Yes I realise quite a bit of surgery is required for io and term_io, but
> it will be quite easy to change term_to_xml.

Actually, I've already had a go at modifying some of the io module but
there's not a lot of point in finishing it until the streams design is
nailed down.

term_to_xml is, of course, your problem ;-)

Julien.