[m-dev.] Reconsidering initialisation of solver types

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jul 27 16:04:58 AEST 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 03:37:37PM +1000, Ralph Becket wrote:
> Peter Stuckey, Thursday, 27 July 2006:
> > It makes Mercury unusable as a constraint programming language!
>
> Currently automatic initialisation seems to make Mercury a bit of a pain
> as a constraint programming language :-)

Why would it be a pain if you don't use it?  The pain would be if you
wanted automatic initialisation but Mercury didn't support it.

Manual initialisation makes Mercury programs look more imperative than
they need to.  I'd like to see us move in the other direction, getting
rid of as much impurity as possible.

--
Peter Schachte              It has become appallingly obvious that our
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        technology has exceeded our humanity.