[m-dev.] Summer Student Report

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jan 11 11:28:21 AEDT 2006

Hi Peter,

Peter Ross, Tuesday, 10 January 2006:
> It's not clear to me if your GA code for finding the best set of
> options would work for any Mercury program.

What makes you think it's dependent on the program being tested?  The
Mercury code just slurps up the results of the previous generation and
outputs new sets of flags to try in the next generation.  It's the shell
script (which Sam is writing now) that will be responsible for compiling
and running programs.

> Also do you look at the C compiler flags as well?  I think it would be
> interesting to be able to manipulate those flags as well, as they are
> also crucial to generating fast code.

So far we're just looking at the Mercury optimisation flags, although
there's no reason why we couldn't do just the same thing with the C
flags, too.

-- Ralph