[m-dev.] logging proposal

Michael Day mikeday at yeslogic.com
Mon Feb 27 21:40:09 AEDT 2006

> We add a special procedure `log' to the builtin module.  The new
> procedure takes a string as input (or possibly an I/O closure).  The
> compiler is then modified to treat calls to log as being the same as
> true, unless an "--enable-logging" options is given.  If this option is
> given then the logging predicates write their output somewhere (where
> they write their output could be given by another mmc option).

If log was defined like this:

    :- pred log(string :: in) is det.

then could it potentially be reordered within this predicate:

    log("about to do something"),
    do_something(!IO),
    log("about to do something else"),
    do_something_else(!IO)

as it seems that logically, the two calls to log are independent and could
be reordered (or of course removed entirely, as they have no output).

Michael

--
Print XML with Prince!
http://www.princexml.com