[m-dev.] Solver types; release schedule?

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Feb 1 20:48:22 AEDT 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 doug.auclair at logicaltypes.com wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I attended the PADL'06 where your constraint-based programming paper was
> presented (actually, it's correct to say that Mercury was the most presented
> topic at the PADL'06: Zoltan did a great job and I'd be surprised if he has
> his voice back yet).  I attempted to convert the pseudo-code in the paper to
> something that would work on the stable release.
>
> Apparently, solver types are only partially rolled out into the stable
> release.

Yes, and as far as the 0.12.X releases are concerned that's the way it's
likely to remain.

They're part of the G12 project: <http://www.g12.cs.mu.oz.au/>

> I've recently become interested in using constraint-programming techniques
> in systems I am developing for production deployment.  What are the plans
> for releasing the fully -implemented and -supported solver types?  When are
> roll-outs expected to reach the stable releases?

The constraint support mentioned in the PADL paper will be available in the
0.13 release (later this year sometime).  There will probably be some changes
to the purity system from how it was used in the solver types paper
though.  See the thread on mercury-reviews beginning at:

Cheers,
Julien.