[m-dev.] Re: Mercury 0.12.0 on SuSE Linux 9.3 works

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Oct 4 14:03:35 AEST 2005

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, J. Greg Davidson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just wanted you to know that I got Mercury 0.12.0 working on SuSE Linux
> 9.3 after installing RPM gcc340-3.4.0-1suse90 which I found at
> http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-navigation.php?cat=Development/gcc

That's good to hear.

> Although it was prepared for SuSE 9.0, it works for 9.3, hence probably
> would work for any of the 9.X releases.  You might want to pass this on
> to whoever is working on preparing official RPMs.  In a few days I'll be
> upgrading to OpenSuSE 10.0, and I'll let you know if this solution still
> works.

Please do.

> I like Mercury and I look forward to a day when Mercury and its
> associated software are easy to install and integrate.

> I'm curious: Is
> anyone looking into creating something that would make software written
> in Mercury easy to install and upgrade?

The only problem with installing and upgrading software written
in Mercury that I can think of is that the Mercury libraries are currently
not versioned and that where they currently live is not that compatible
with most package management systems.  Are there specific problems
that you've been having in this regard?

> I'm thinking here of the great
> convenience of Ruby's GEM system.  Such a tool for Mercury would greatly
> accelerate the use of Mercury.

I'm not familiar with Ruby's GEM system.

Cheers,
Julien.