[m-dev.] streams in Mercury

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Dec 14 02:58:26 AEDT 2005

Some initial comments/questions:

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Ian MacLarty wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At MC we're using many different streams besides normal file streams
> (such as sockets, ssl and logging streams).  Peter has therefore defined
> some stream typeclasses and rewritten some parts of io.m for reading and
> writing to general streams.

How similar are the stream typeclasses to the stuff in extras/stream?

> Are there any thoughts on this idea?

Search for streams on the mailing list archive.

> I thought of using the new MercuryFile C type, but that approach has two
> problems:
>    1.  It requires writing C code to implement a new type of stream.
>    2.  It requires the compiler to be built with a special flag to turn
>        on the use of this structure.

We could use the MercuryFile structure by default, although the question
then becomes what sort of overhead is that going to entail?  Do MC have
any figures on how the MercuryFile struct compares to normal files?
(If not then that can be another job for Samrith ;-))

Cheers,
Julien.