[m-dev.] Rethink of impurity w.r.t. solver code in negated contexts

Mark Brown mark at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Dec 7 01:42:39 AEDT 2005

On 06-Dec-2005, Ian MacLarty <maclarty at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> On 6 Dec 2005, at 14:35, Mark Brown wrote:
>
> >implicit impurity is explicit).  It also has the nice property that
> >even if
> >there is an unsound negation in a program main/2 must still be pure,
> >so if
> >the program misbehaves we can deduce that there must be a broken
> >promise
> >somewhere.
> >

> At the moment main can be impure and the compiler will not complain.  I
> don't really see an issue with this, but I thought I'd just point that
> out.

Oh... didn't realise that.  This means section 9.1 of the reference manual
doesn't match what the compiler does.  In any case my point is still the same,
for a suitable interpretation of "misbehaves".  ;-)

Cheers,
Mark.