[m-dev.] Re: About to abandon .par grades...

Julien Fischer juliensf at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Oct 19 18:39:13 AEST 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Peter Ross wrote:

> Zoltan Somogyi wrote:
>
> >On 19-Oct-2004, Ralph Becket <rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> >

> >>Thanks for the rapid response, Fergus.  I chatted briefly with Peter
> >>Stuckey and he's keen that Mercury retain the .par grades, so maybe we
> >>shouldn't be too hasty to abandon them.  Zoltan, would you be satisfied
> >>if we (a) adopt one of Fergus' recommendations for the fix and (b) make
> >>it clear in the NEWS file et cetera that, for various reasons, we may be
> >>unable to fix problems to do with parallelism?
> >>

> I seemed to miss this problem with the .par grades?  Is it on-list?

The only bits that are on-list are already here.  The specific problem
is with hlc.par.gc/hl.par.gc - the runtime seg faults shortly after
starting execution.

> Otherwise can someone forward me the messages, we use the parallel
> grades heavily here at MC.

Out of curiosity which of the .par grades do you use?

Cheers,
Julien.