[m-dev.] FINAL_INSTALL_PREFIX

Ian MacLarty maclarty at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Nov 19 16:19:03 AEDT 2004

Hi,

When I recently changed the default value of the
--shlib-linker-install-name-path (which is used to set the
-install-name linker option for Darwin shared libs) to the value of
FINAL_INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR instead of INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR (as
requested by Michael Wybrow), building of user shared libraries on Mac
OS X no longer works as described in the user guide.

This is because FINAL_INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR comes from
FINAL_INSTALL_PREFIX which is not documented in the user guide, and
INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR comes from INSTALL_PREFIX which is documented in
the user guide.  The user guide says to set the INSTALL_PREFIX to the
path where the libraries will be installed, but no mention is made of
the FINAL_INSTALL_PREFIX.

Is FINAL_INSTALL_PREFIX meant to be used by users or is it just
specific to the Mercury configuration scripts?  Surely if its Mercury
specific then the default value of --shlib-linker-install-name-path
should be the value of INSTALL_MERC_LIB_DIR?  Otherwise if
FINAL_INSTALL_PREFIX is a variable the user should be aware of then it
should be documented in the user guide and should be used in the
example Mmakefile given in the user guide.

I am happy to make the change either way - I just need to know which
way...

Cheers,
Ian.