[m-dev.] Advice needed on GC related problem

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jan 30 17:14:48 AEDT 2004

Zoltan Somogyi, Friday, 30 January 2004:

> I think I found the problem, even without looking at the source code
> :-)

Thanks for spotting that one!

> It looks like your test simply keep so much live data around that the
> gc keeps expanding the heap, and the kernel kills the process (without
> the courtesy of a signal, since aral has the default Linux behavior of
> allowing overcommit of virtual memory) when its VM requirements exceed
> available resources, i.e.  real memory plus swap space.

This occurred to me.  I'll take a closer look at the code; I've
scrutinised it fairly closely and it's not obvious to me what could be
keeping all that data live.  Hmm...

Ta,
-- Ralph