[m-dev.] Mercury 0.11.1-beta-2004-6-30 on OS X

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Aug 6 14:21:41 AEST 2004

On 05-Aug-2004, Peter Ross <pro at missioncriticalit.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:29:57AM -0400, Gregory Wright wrote:
> > I've got mercury-0.11.1-beta-2004-06-30 running on OS X, built
> > under the darwinports system (similar to FreeBSD ports).  The compiler
> > builds to completion, but when I run mercury-tests, there are a few
> > errors:
> >
> > redwing> cat FAILED_TESTS
> > debugger/interactive
>
>     This test case just tests if dynamic linking works, so useful but
>     not critical.

Right.  The problem seems to be a link error, "_main not defined",
when linking the shared object.  The shared object is not supposed
to define _main, so the question is why does the linker think it
needs to be defined?  Perhaps the linker is not being invoked with
the right flags.  Or perhaps some other symbol is being dragged in
which somehow refers to main().

> > hard_coded/parse
>
>     Seems to want to link against -lcrt0.o which seems very strange, not
>     sure what is going on here.

This test is testing static linking.  Perhaps OS X doesn't support static
linking, or perhaps it does but the files necessary for static linking
only get installed optionally and have not been installed?

> > My question is, should I worry about these failures before releasing
> > the port, or are they corner cases that most users won't encounter.
> > (After all, the port will let the user know that this is a *beta*
> > release.)
>
> So my answer is that none of the missing functionallity is critical, so
> feel free to commit it to the ports system.

Yes, I agree.

--
Fergus Henderson                    |  "I have always known that the pursuit