[m-dev.] ICFP Contest: new planning idea

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Jun 30 13:03:57 AEST 2003

I've been taking too simplistic an approach to this problem.  The car
model is actually rather complex: I'm not a good enough mathematician
to find a closed formula for working out optimal turns etc.

So I'm going to back off to the following approach to optimising each
turn.

Consider the turn ABC.
We can work out (roughly) the maximum velocity v the car can take on the
AB part of the route and still come to a halt at B.
I'm then going to try cutting corners around B:
- at speed 4v/6 starting 4s/8 from A (where s is the distance AB)
- at speed 3v/6 starting 5s/8 from A
- at speed 2v/6 starting 6s/8 from A
- at speed 1v/6 starting 7s/8 from A
- at speed    0 starting      at B   (this will always work)
Each attempt will be simulated by driving the car simply turning and
accelerating to hit the desired destination point at the desired speed.

I can't offhand think of anything better to try.

-- Ralph