[m-dev.] where the .NET compiler is slow

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Feb 26 21:49:43 AEDT 2003

On 26-Feb-2003, Peter Ross <pro at missioncriticalit.com> wrote:
> I just did a simple analysis of the compile time of hello.m when using
> the compiler built in the il grade.
>
> Here are the 3 sections which consume the most time
>     - Checking typeclass instances (53%)
>     - Conversion of parse tree to HLDS (18%)
>     - RTTI initialization (12%)
>
> I have no idea why the typechecking is so slow.

It is probably related to --intermodule-optimization.
We're probably reading in a lot of typeclass instance declarations
from `.opt' files.  There's a similar effect for the C back-end:
checking typeclass instances is responsible for more than 20% of the
compilation time for `mmc --intermodule-optimization -C hello.m'.