[m-dev.] Corrupted variable names in debugger

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Feb 21 15:06:52 AEDT 2003

On 21-Feb-2003, Peter Moulder <pmoulder at csse.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> > I'm tracing through make_hlds with --trace deep and several variable
> > names are being printed as corrupted strings (i.e. a lot of gibberish
> > including control characters that are doing something whacky to the
> > terminal.)  I recall this having arisen and been dealt with before.  Is
> > there an obvious fix?
>
> I don't know of one.  I've had a quick look at some of the code closer
> towards the mdb side, and can't see any obvious problems.

I took a look at the original bug soon after Ralph had sent the message,
and found the reason. The runtime system was following negative offsets
into the string table, because the offset field in the relevant structure
was declared MR_int_least16_t instead of MR_uint_least16_t, and the actual
value of the field was greater than 2^15.

The bug fix was committed wednesday.

Zoltan.