[m-dev.] quoting procedure names when necessary in mdb output

Peter Moulder pmoulder at mail.csse.monash.edu.au
Wed Aug 20 14:00:55 AEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:45:18AM +1000, Peter Moulder wrote:

> Disadvantages of changing mdb's input quoting style:
>   [...]
>
>   - Backwards compatibility?  Not really an issue in practice, assuming
>     that no-one (or no mdb-interfacing code, more to the point) is using
>     a redundant backslash in front of [0-9abrftnv].

Other backward incompatibilities:

  - 'a''b'  changes from meaning "ab" to meaning "a'b"

  - backslash-newline within quotes changes from meaning a literal
    newline to meaning an empty string.

  - lexer.m gives an error for an unrecognized escape sequence within a
    quoted name (lexer__get_quoted_name_escape), whereas mdb always
    inserts the character literally.  I don't think it very important
    what behaviour we have for unrecognized escape sequences.  I'd keep
    mdb's behaviour just for ease of implementation.

pjm.