[m-dev.] list__series/3 a silly name?

Andrew Clausen clausen at gnu.org
Thu Sep 26 20:14:35 AEST 2002

Hi all,

Isn't 1..5 a *sequence*, not a series?

Isn't the term "series" reserved for a sequence of sums of increasingly
larger subsequences of an infinite sequence?  (Or something to do with
sums of many terms, whatever formalism you choose...)

Should list__series be renamed to list__sequence?

In everyday usage, they are probably synonyms, but I was certainly
fooled.  When I was looking for a sequence function, I didn't even
bother investigating the list__series function, assuming it was something
else.  I only noticed some hours later.

Perhaps I'm the only Mercury user that will be confused...?

Cheers,
Andrew