[m-dev.] IL grade

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed May 15 12:46:26 AEST 2002

On 14-May-2002, Peter Ross <pro at missioncriticalit.com> wrote:
> I have been spending my time lately trying to get the IL grade working (the
> il backend with high-level data).
>
> Anyone else looked at this, if so, I would be interested in hearing their
> experience and comments.

I haven't had a look at it recently.  I have been waiting for Simon's
change to read `.opt' files transitively, which is a necessary step.
(It's needed to solve the problem with abstract equivalence types.
Note that for the IL grade, you *must* compile with
`--intermodule-optimization' enabled.)
The good news is that Simon committed that change last Friday.

> Currently I am thinking about cutting out as much code as possible from the
> std library and and progressively adding it back in until I can get the
> whole thing working.  This is after about a week of trying to get it to
> compile in both the ilc and il grades.

My TODO list on for the .NET back-end contains the following items:

- fix I/O streams

- use --high-level-data
	- MC++ interface:
		- add #using to *__cpp_code.
		- fix MR_Word casts for MC++ code
	- library:
		- definitions for undefined library types (c_pointer, type_desc)
		- RTTI