[m-dev.] Separate sub-module suggestions

Simon Taylor stayl at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Mar 19 16:37:13 AEDT 2002

On 18-Mar-2002, Ralph Becket <rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> 2. It should be possible to specify to the mmake depend stage whether
> separate sub-module file names will be
> (a) fully qualified,
> (b) partially qualified, or
> (c) completely unqualified.
>
> So a module foo__bar__baz could appear in the following files
>
> 1a	foo.bar.baz.m		2a, 2b
> 1a	bar.baz.m		    2b
> 1a	baz.m			    2b, 2c
> 1b	foo/bar/baz.m		2a, 2b
> 1b	bar/baz.m		    2b
> 1b	baz.m			    2b, 2c
>
> There are good S/W engineering reasons to prefer 2a over the other
> options, however people working with CVS may well find it less hassle to
> adopt 2b or 2c thanks to problems CVS has with moving files around.

I think that allowing partially qualified file names was a mistake.
If the user wants to use anything other than the fully qualified name
they should have to specify the module name to file name mapping for
that module. That may not be acceptable now because it would break
backwards compatibility.

Simon.