[m-dev.] Adding `.' as a module separator

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Dec 2 15:32:57 AEDT 2002

On 02-Dec-2002, David Overton <dmo at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> Currently we only allow one kind of module qualification per name.  If
> the name contains a colon (':') then any occurrences of `__' are treated
> as part of the name rather than as a module qualifier.  I think if we
> are planning to phase out `__' as a  module-qualifier in
> preference to `.' then we should stick to a simple rule like this.

Agreed.

> The way `__' is parsed at the moment is a bit of a hack anyway because it's
> not recognised as a separate token by the lexer (IIRC).

Yes.  The reason for that hack was compatibility with Prolog.
We should definitely treat "." as a separate (operator) token,
rather than looking for "." characters inside identifier tokens.