[m-dev.] Adding `.' as a module separator

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Dec 2 12:47:36 AEDT 2002

Ralph Becket, Monday,  2 December 2002:

> 3. parse the strings using a rule like "first split at the '.'s, then
> split the pieces at the '__'s, stragglers are deemed to be part of
> the name" (rather like the way we currently interpret 'foo____bar',
> namely as `qualified("foo", unqualified("__bar"))').  This still
> wouldn't tell us what to do in cases like 'foo..bar', although we could
> use the same rule as we currently do for '__'.

How about this as a rule:

Scanning from left to right, a substring in the set{'.', '__', ':'}
is interpreted as a module separator iff it separates two simple names
(where a simple name is a string interpreted as having no structure.)

So the string ".a..b__c.__d__.e__" would be broken up as

- Ralph