[m-dev.] foreign type syntax

Peter Schachte schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Oct 30 18:36:59 AEDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 07:11:35PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 29-Oct-2001, Peter Schachte <schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> >      o	The foreign language may not make the same distinctions Mercury
> > 	wants to, such as between a pointer to a thing and a pointer to an
> > 	array of things.

Completely abstract, with no generated accessor functions or constructors?
That's a lot less useful than I thought.  So I guess its only use is to get
Mercury to remember the types of foreign data structures passing through so
the back end knows the right type?  I was hoping to be able to access and
construct foreign data structures in Mercury in just the same way you can
access and construct Mercury terms.  If this is a long term desire, then my
arguments for using a Mercury syntax for declaring foreign types do apply.

--
Peter Schachte              If you have a procedure with 10 parameters, you
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        probably missed some.