[m-dev.] Re: corrupted file

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Oct 19 13:24:22 AEST 2001

On 19-Oct-2001, Adam HENDRIX <hendrix at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > Could you please send me a backup copy of
> > /home/mercury1/repository/mercury/.INSTALL.in,v
> > from about a week ago - the current copy has
> > been truncated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Simon Taylor.
> >

> Simon, please answer the following questions as accurately you can ...
>
> o What was the name of the file that was deleted?

Simon's mail has the name of the file we want to restore. It was not deleted;
it got corrupted, probably by a CVS or operating system bug.

> o What is the FULL path to the file? To find this, cd to the directory and
>   do `df .` or `/bin/pwd`

Its native path name, on munginya, should be
/home/mercury/mercury1/repository/mercury/.INSTALL.in,v.
The actual path name on a client will depend on where /home/mercury
is mounted on that client.

> o What date & time was the file deleted?

It was not deleted.

> o How did you delete the file?

Not at all. It probably got corrupted during a CVS operation.

> o When was the file last modified before deleting it?

We don't know exactly. Some of the operations that update that file
don't leave a trail, and they could have been performed by any of two dozen
people, several of whom are on the other side of the world.

> o Why don't you have an RCS copy of the file?

Because this is the **^&^*^ RCS file!!!

> o How long will it take you to regenerate the file? Justify the time.

Restoring its old content is impossible except by restoring a backup
and reapplying recent changes.

> o What steps will you take to ensure that you will not accidently delete
>   files in the future?

Not depend on RAID filesystems maintained by tech services :-)

Sending such questionnaires to students is appropriate. Sending them to staff
(and Simon is a staff member) is not.

Zoltan.