[m-dev.] foreign type syntax, the pain begins.

Peter Ross peter.ross at miscrit.be
Fri Nov 2 19:13:39 AEDT 2001

Tyson wrote:
> I think I would prefer to only accept IL foriegn_types -- it will be
> much simpler to just write some code to parse the IL than to do this
> stuff (or worse still, explain this mess to users!).

I support Tyson on this point.  The whole point of the IL backend (unlike
all of the other backends) is that is designed with interoperability in
mind.  Thus I believe that we should represent types in a Mercury fashion
and map them as necessary to the appropiate foreign language as required.
Otherwise we are going to suffer combinatorial explosion as we decide to be
able to interact with more and more languages.

Pete