[m-dev.] Module qualification of typeclass methods

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Nov 1 11:16:23 AEDT 2001

Fergus Henderson, Wednesday, 31 October 2001:

> I have an alternative proposal, which was part of my original proposal
> for nested modules.  This proposal is to have a new construct
>
> 	:- export_module <module name>.
>
> which includes the *contents* of the specified module in the current module.
> (Maybe `export_module' isn't the best name for it.
> Other possible names include `export_module_contents',
> `module_contents', `copy', and `include'.)

I don't want to start a syntax debate, but `includes_module' has a
more declarative flavour to it, IMHO.

Otherwise I think this is an excellent idea.  It would certainly
improve matters w.r.t. e.g. the float/complex modules and, say,
a set of vector manipulation modules that differentiated between
unit vectors and non-unit vectors, as we discussed during ICFP'00.

- Ralph