[m-dev.] Module qualification of typeclass methods

Simon Taylor stayl at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Nov 16 18:07:39 AEDT 2001

On 15-Nov-2001, Peter Ross <peter.ross at miscrit.be> wrote:
> Simon wrote:
> > I can live with what you are proposing, but I don't much like
> > either proposal for dealing with name clashes. If at all possible,
> > I'd rather not implement `:- include' at all.
> >
> > I haven't seen a good explanation why the tool which
> > generates the code to create a Mercury interface to .NET
> > libraries can't do the combination of items from multiple
> > assemblies into a single Mercury module itself.
> >
> Note that I haven't even began to talk about how to resolve names from
> different assemblies which reside in the same namespace.  I was trying to
> resolve my current problem first.

`:- include' is overkill for reducing the excessive number of imports
needed to use the .NET libraries. The automatic import mechanism is a
simpler, cleaner way of doing that.

> I think this proposal would be very useful for solving a problem
> I am having with the fact that a namespace in .NET can reside over
> more than one assembly.

I am trying to understand whether `:- include' is necessary for
solving the .NET namespace problem.

If `:- include' is needed for solving that problem, then the automatic
import mechanism is probably not needed as well.

If `:- include' is not needed for solving that problem, I'd
rather it wasn't implemented at all.

Simon.