[m-dev.] [reuse] diff: fix problem in profile grades

Peter Ross peter.ross at miscrit.be
Mon Mar 12 23:02:12 AEDT 2001

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 03:17:11AM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 09-Mar-2001, Peter Ross <peter.ross at miscrit.be> wrote:

> > > Why?
> > > Do you have a test case for this?
> >
> > Yes, try building the ICFP programming contest entry with structure
> > reuse turned on in one of the hlc profiling grades.  You end up with
> > some dangling references to reuse versions of type specialized
> > predicates.  I am not sure where they are coming from.
>
> Why not?  Doesn't think linker tell you?  (If the linker only says the object
> file, try building with --c-debug, and you may get the line number.  If that
> doesn't work either, and you're using MSVC, try using gcc instead.)

I do know which object file they are in, I am just not sure why the
compiler is generating these predicates with no bodies.  It is only for
the reuse versions of user guided type specialization predicates, so it
must be a very specific form of interaction which is causing these
predicates to be kept.