[m-dev.] [reuse] fixes of some naughty bugs

Peter Ross peter.ross at miscrit.be
Fri Mar 9 22:08:10 AEDT 2001

> > > But if this is the case, as all pragma_foreign_code is always
> > > assumed impure,
> >
> > That's not the case currently (at least on the main branch).
> > Currently pragma_foreign_code is assumed pure.
>
> No, not within my analysis: they are implicitly assumed as dangerous
> code, and treated as `can potentially do anything'-code.

I think you are talking at cross purposes here.  Fergus is talking about
the pure/impure annotations which can be placed on predicates and
functions.  Nancy is talking about the assumptions that are made when
determining the aliases for foreign_code, which is, as she says, it can do
anything so make no assumptions apart from those promised by the modes
and types declared.

Pete