[m-dev.] for review: extra modes for random.m

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Mar 1 01:42:53 AEDT 2001

On 28-Feb-2001, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:

> library/random.m:
>         Added support for in/out random__supply arguments to
>         complement the existing mdi/muo modes.  This is useful
>         when a random__supply is a component of a non-(mostly-)
>         unique object.

I suggested this change a while back, but Tom Conway wasn't keen.
His argument was that the mdi/muo modes provided extra safety,
since they ensured that you didn't accidentally use the same
random number supply twice.

However, I'm still in favour of the change.  If you support it,
despite Tom's argument, then I think we outvote him.