[m-dev.] Re: ROTD is broken

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jul 18 18:08:44 AEST 2001

On 18-Jul-2001, Zoltan Somogyi <zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 17-Jul-2001, Tyson Dowd <trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > Perhaps we should simply back out the changes that caused the ROTD to
> > break, since neither of them are particularly necessary at the moment.
> >
> > This would mean turning off building of the deep_profiler directory and
> > turning off the testing of mlds_to_gcc.m.
>
> I can't speak about mlds_to_gcc.m, but I did a "tar tf" on an unzipped copy of
> mercury-compiler-0.10.2-beta-2001-07-17.tar.gc in
> /home/venus/ftp/pub/mercury/beta-releases. What I found was not what I
> expected.

This is not what I meant by an rotd, this is a beta of the 10.x release
branch.  I mean mercury-compiler-rotd-2001-07-14.tar.gz

However these problems also need to be fixed, so thanks for looking into
it.

> First, that file is huge (over 90 Mb, even when gzipped). This is not all that
> surprising, given that 40% of it (when unzipped, probably more when gzipped)
> is the subdirectory bindist/mercury-rotd-2001-07-16.alphaev5-dec-osf3.2, which
> has no business being there.
>
> Second, the only files in the deep profiler subdirectory of the rotd are the
> CVS subdir and a marker file, .deep.tags. Not only are there no .c files,
> there are no .m files. This was caused by CVS/Entries in
> /home/mercury/public/test_mercury/test_dirs/murlibobo/mercury being almost
> empty. A "cvs update" in the deep profiler directory being ineffectual, I
> tried to delete the directory and recreate it; that did not work either.
> The reason is that the same test directory is being alternated between
> the release branch and the trunk. It seems that for some reason, the release
> branch deep profiler directory was being used even when the rest of the mercury
> directory was on the trunk.
>
> Third, files which have been deleted from the CVS repository (such as
> compiler/vn*) are still in the rotd.
>
> All these suggest to me that turning off the building of the deep_profiler
> directory is not the right fix, and that the current process of building the
> rotd is significantly broken.
>
> - At the least, we should exclude binary distributions from the source
>   distribution tar file.

Usually this kind of thing seems to happen when someone monkeys around
building things by hand in the distribution building directory.

I'm not sure if this is the case this time.

> - We should be using distinct test directories for distinct CVS branches.
>
> - From time to time (say once a week), we should also delete each test
>   directory and check it out from CVS from scratch, to get rid of stale files.
>
> - We should consider moving the job of preparing the tar file from murlibobo to
>   venus, or to earth or mars. Moving the job away from murlibobo will also
>   allow us to avoid special casing the use of two tag bits for the source
>   distribution, allowing the Alpha binary distribution to use three tag bits
>   without requiring recompilation. Given that test_mercury is deathly slow on
>   murlibobo, any speedup is welcome.

These are good ideas.

> Tyson, if you need the rotd fixed ASAP, you will have to do the honours. If you
> don't, I will discuss the issue with Fergus when he gets back from leave on
> friday.

Ah, thanks, I had no idea Fergus was on leave.

I'm unlikely to fix these things at the moment.  I might fix some of the
problems in the main branch ROTD.

Tyson.