[m-dev.] configure option(s) to disable different back-ends

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jan 12 17:15:20 AEDT 2001

On 12-Jan-2001, Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> This option is needed because building with the GCC back-end interface enabled
> requires having a copy of GCC to link with, and we don't want to
> require everyone to do that.

I agree.

> However, shouldn't there be a similar option to configure to disable
> the Aditi back-end?  `--disable-aditi-back-end'?

Actually, I think we should have --enable-aditi-back-end, with
--disable-aditi-back-end as the default. Simon can switch the default around
in a Mercury package that goes along with the Aditi release.

> Note that we already have options to disable building the libraries
> for various grades.  But those options don't stop the relevant parts
> of the compiler needed to compile code in those grades from being
> linked into the mercury_compile executable.

I don't think that excluding modules from the compiler is worth it,
unless they require excessive compilation time (such as rl_code.m).

I think we also need a option that tells configure to prefer lcc or some other
compiler to gcc. At the moment, you have to do it by setting the environment
variable CC to refer to your favored C compiler, but this is not documented
anywhere that I know about except in "info autoconf".

Zoltan.