[m-dev.] For review: change array__sort/1 to use samsort

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Feb 13 22:24:38 AEDT 2001

On 13-Feb-2001, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> >From Fergus Henderson on 12/02/2001 16:42:10
> > On 12-Feb-2001, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > library/array.m:
> > > 	Removed mergesort in favour of samsort which has much better
> > > 	performance on mostly sorted data and is within a hair as
> > > 	good on random data.
> >
> > That looks good, provided it works... do we have any test
> > cases for array__sort in the test suite?
>
> A couple of quick questions:
> (1) should the new tests go in tests/general or tests/hard_coded?

Originally tests/general was for things that were supported in Prolog,
whereas tests/hard_coded was for things that only worked in Mercury.
Nowadays it doesn't really matter.

> (2) tests/general/array_test.m only appears to test those things
> in array.m that are mirrored in bt_array.m -

Yes, it probably dates from the days when bt_array.m was named array.m.

> please tell me I don't need to duplicate stuff there too?

I suppose for consistency it would be nice if bt_array.m
had the same stuff as in array.m, but it's not essential.