[m-dev.] RE: changes to std_util.m

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Feb 8 03:37:18 AEDT 2001

On 07-Feb-2001, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> >From Peter Ross on 07/02/2001 15:49:08
> > Your latest change to std_util.m backed out a lot of changes for making
> > univ a user defined type.  Any ideas how you managed to do that?
>
> Not a clue - sorry.  I did `cvs update std_util.m' then
> `cvs ci -F logmsg std_util.m'; is that the wrong procedure?

The right procedure involves doing `cvs diff' before `cvs ci', and
examining the output to make sure that it is what you intended.

Also if you need to do `cvs update', then you should generally do
it on the whole repository at once, rather than on a single file,
otherwise you may get inconsistent results, because your workspace
now includes only *part* of a set of linked changes that someone
else made.  And if you have made changes and you need to do
`cvs update' to merge in the changes that others have made before
committing your changes, then it's a good idea to at least make sure
that your changes still compile after doing the `cvs update'.