[m-dev.] cc_multi or det ?

Holger Krug hkrug at rationalizer.com
Wed Aug 8 16:51:03 AEST 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 03:54:13PM +1000, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 08-Aug-2001, Peter Schachte <schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> > > The other problem is that retrofitting error recovery code can be a
> > > major pain, particularly if there's some state you want to preserve
> > > from the point at which the error occurred.
> >
> > Can't you just pass that state back in the exception term?
>
> In general, no; the state might be passed down to the point where
> the exception is thrown.  For example, the exception might be thrown
> from int:'+'.

I think there were already some discussion within the Mercury team at
the time, when exception had been introduced, right ? Are there some
papers or threads on mailing lists or personal notes, which would be
necessary to have read before participating in this discussion ? I
have some ideas which I want to verify first for myself. (They
consist, basically, in mixing both standpoints: errors should be
reported in return values, as Fergus and Ralph say, but we need better
syntax for this, to be able to "forget" them temporarily, as Peter and
I say.)

--
Holger Krug
hkrug at rationalizer.com