[m-dev.] for discussion: stream library v2

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 27 21:17:49 AEDT 2000

Umm, I'm not sure I'm happy with this being restricted to chars.  At
the very least, bytes would be better.

Are we not worried about generalising to arbitrary stream types?  For
example, I might want to treat a lexer as an input stream of tokens.

I also think there should be some explanation of why all the lowlevel
typeclass methods are impure.  I still don't see why they shouldn't have
pure di/uo signatures.  It doesn't matter if they change the state of
the world thanks to the semantics of unique objects.  For example,
arrays are implemented in C, but still have a pure di/uo interface.
Having several strea

Ralph

Ralph Becket      |      MSR Cambridge      |      rbeck at microsoft.com