[m-dev.] Performance of collect

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Sep 26 16:04:51 AEDT 2000

> | > ** dlopen failed: ld.so.1: ./hello: fatal : erreur de réadressage : fichier ./
> | > ** collect.so : symbole mercury__private_builtin__builtin_compare_string_3_p_0 :
> | > ** symbole référencé introuvable
> |
> | What's the error message when you set the locale (LC_ALL or LANG environment
> | variable) to "C"?  It's hard enough to debug these things in English,
> | let alone in French! ;-)
>
> Sorry about that. I let them in french because Tyson told me when he came here
> that he enjoys a lot those exotic error messages :-)

I do.  Thanks Erwan!

Any error message in French is instantly mysterious, exotic, and
possibly delicious.

Erreur de réadressage -- sounds like some sort of rich salad dressing.
Symbole référencé introuvable -- one of the slogans of the French revolution?
Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type -- probably an opera or ballet
Permission non accordée -- reminds me of french women mostly... ;-)

The english equivalents are extremely boring.

I really enjoyed debugging in French (compared to normal debugging,
anyway), although I'll never get used to those keyboards...

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't everyone's cup of fur.