[m-dev.] for review: enable support for explicit type qualifi ers

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 21 20:01:14 AEDT 2000

>From Fergus Henderson on 21/09/2000 06:16:14
> On 20-Sep-2000, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Any chance of inline type specifiers turning up soon?
>
> Sure.  The long-term aim is probably to use ":" as the
> operator for this, but it's easy enough to enable this
> feature in the mean time.  For now, I propose we just use
> "`with_type`" as the operator.  When we change it to use
> `:', we can easily keep the old name as an alternative
> for backwards compatibility.

I'll follow up with a review, but isn't it about time we made
the change?  I've only ever seen two pieces of toy code that
use `:' as the module name separator rather than `__', so we
should be able to safely steal `:' as a synonym for `with_type`.

A quick grep -n '[^:]:[^-:=]' */*.m | grep -v '["%]' through
rotd-08-27 reveals that library/rational.m is the only place
in the distribution that uses `:' as a module separator (and
there are some C comments in library/std_util.m that do as
well).  Presumably fixing the error reporting in the compiler
is a one-line job?

I volunteer to do the job, if this is all there is to it.

Ralph

Ralph Becket      |      MSR Cambridge      |      rbeck at microsoft.com