[m-dev.] option-finetuning (generating trans-opts)

Nancy Mazur Nancy.Mazur at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Sep 12 23:54:34 AEDT 2000

> On 12 Sep, Nancy Mazur wrote:
>
> > I'd love the SCC-aproach! Our analysis has the problem of dealing
> > with mutually recursive predicates defined over several modules.
> > The SCC-compilation approach would solve this.
> > But I don't think that this scheme would be useful for everyday
> > compilation, just when the user requires some kind of heavy optimizations
> > to be done...
>
> Why?  Finding SCCs is pretty cheap (linear).  If you're just finding
> file dependency SCCs, and you can get the dependency graph from .dep
> files, it should be very fast.

No... the problem is not with finding the SCCs.. but with recompiling
all the modules within one single SCC, whereas perhaps only one of
them has changed...
Or how are you going to manage all those changed/not changed files?

IMHO I would think that for everyday compilation, it is better
to keep the process as fine-grained as possible: compiling small
pieces as independently as possible.
Once some project has reached some maturity, then it may be worthwhile
to compile several modules at the same time, trying to make as much
profit of all the information that is available then...

Just my opinion,
Nancy