[m-dev.] option-finetuning (generating trans-opts)

Nancy Mazur Nancy.Mazur at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Sep 12 23:13:13 AEDT 2000

> On 12 Sep, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>
> > Well, basically the only way to avoid this would be to redesign the
> > way trans-opt files work.  That might well be a good idea!
>
> There was a rumor floating around recently that there was some interest
> in developing a new approach to the build process.  I'm hoping this
> would entail merging mmake and mmc into a single program that builds
> the application bottom-up one file dependency SCC (or even call graph
> SCC) at a time.  If this is done, can't the generation of .opt,
> .transopt and .c files be done at once?  Could this make it cheap
> enough to just always generate a .transopt file?  I realize there are
> potential memory footprint problems with compiling an SCC at a time,
> but this can always be handled by flushing information not immediately
> necessary from memory to disk, and reloading it when it is needed
> again.
>
> So what are the plans and when are they likely to happen (if ever)?
> Could Nancy take advantage of such a rewrite?

I'd love the SCC-aproach! Our analysis has the problem of dealing
with mutually recursive predicates defined over several modules.
The SCC-compilation approach would solve this.
But I don't think that this scheme would be useful for everyday
compilation, just when the user requires some kind of heavy optimizations
to be done...

Nancy